Lyft's SFTP service offers a secure and scalable way to automatically manage your people, Expense Info, and reports, so you don't have to do the heavy lifting.
Employee management systems with SFTP functionality, such as Oracle and Workday, can be easily connected to the Lyft Business Portal to begin using automatic syncing features. Connect to Lyft's SFTP server in 3 easy steps:
- Generate your public SSH key
- Enter your generated public SSH key and an email address for your technical contact in the Lyft Business portal
- Use the SFTP folder directory to upload your organization's information for automatic syncing
Generate your public SSH key
Typically, someone from your organization's IT department can generate your public SSH key.
On Mac/Linux systems:
- In a terminal window, run the following command to generate a public RSA key:
ssh-keygen -t rsa -b 4096
- You'll be asked to enter an optional passphrase. You can either decline to or choose to create a passphrase. If you choose to create a passphrase, you will need to use it every time you connect to Lyft's SFTP server
- To open the folder, type:
- In the folder, you'll see a file named
id_rsa.pub. This is the public SSH key that you'll enter into the Lyft Business Portal
On Windows systems:
- You can download and use PuTTY and PuTTYGen to generate your SSH-2 RSA key on Windows
- Select RSA as the type of key to generate
- In the 'Number of bits in a generated key' field, enter
- Click 'Generate' and follow PuTTY's instructions to create the key
- Once the key is generated, click 'Save public key' and 'Save private key' to save both as a file on your computer — the private key is what you'll use to authenticate with and the public key is what you'll enter into the Lyft Business Portal. We recommend naming the public key file
id_rsa_publicwhen saving it for Windows to open the file correctly
- Next, open the public key file
id_rsa_pubin Windows Notepad
- Copy the contents of the public key file from Notepad. This is your public key. Now, you're ready to move on to entering your copied public key into the Lyft Business Portal.
Enter your generated public SSH key and an email address for your technical contact in the Lyft Business portal
- Copy the generated public SSH key
- Log into the Lyft Business Portal
- Click 'Settings' from the left-hand sidebar
- Click ' Automation' under Settings
- Feel free to read about automation via SFTP on the Automation page. When you're ready, click 'Start setup'
- Paste the generated public SSH key into the SSH key field
- Enter in the email address of the person who should receive email notifications about status updates and issues for your organization's SFTP connection in the 'Technical Contact Email' field. This can be the person from your IT department, for example, who would be best equipped to help solve any technical issues
- Click 'Enable SFTP syncing'
Upon successful connection, a green banner will appear stating "SFTP sync has been successfully enabled."
Use the SFTP folder directory to upload your organization's information for automatic syncing
Once you have successfully connected to Lyft's SFTP server, you'll have access to a folder directory with the following default folders visible:
/users/ folder is used for uploading your employee roster to People Sync. It is important to note that you will need to contact Support or your Lyft Business account manager to enable People Sync before the
/users/ folder can be used.
Lyft SFTP servers will read this folder for an updated employee roster each day to automatically update employee permissions.
Your People Sync audit and error log can be found in the
/user_logs/ folder. The log contains information on the current status of your sync. The log will alert you to the success and/or partial success of your file sync, or an unsuccessful sync of your file due to errors. You'll also find descriptions of the errors and how to fix them.
/expensing/ folder is used for uploading your Expense Info to Expense Sync. This folder is available for immediate use as soon as your organization is connected to Lyft's SFTP server. You do not need to reach out to Support or your account manager to enable Expense Sync.
Lyft SFTP servers will read this folder each day for an updated list of Expense Codes and/or Expense Notes, and will update the Expense Info available to your people when they take a business ride accordingly.
/reports/ folder is where you can find automatically generated reports via Reports Sync based on the cadence that your organization chooses — daily, weekly, or monthly. Reports Sync will generate reports automatically and immediately, so you do not have to contact Support or your account manager to begin reading the
You should not upload any additional files into the
/reports/ folder and Lyft SFTP servers will not be looking for any updated information from this folder.