This article provides step-by-step instructions on how to configure your Workday environment to automate employee on/offboarding by sending your Workday employee roster to Lyft Business People Sync via SFTP.
Step 1: Generate your SSH key
In order to send your employee roster file to Lyft’s SFTP, Workday will need secure SSH authentication. The steps below explain how to generate the SSH key for Workday and how to upload the SSH key to Lyft’s portal.
- Login to your Workday tenant
- Search for and click the task Create x509 Private Key Pair
- Give the key pair a name that is easy to search later, enter description if needed, and click OK
- Workday will generate two keys (as shown in the screenshot below): a Public Key and a RSA-SSH Formatted Key. Copy the RSA-SSH Formatted Key.
- Open the Lyft Business Portal and click through Settings > Automation > SFTP, which will take you to the SFTP sync setup page. Paste the RSA-SSH2 Format Key you copied in the previous step and click Submit. After submitting, you may need to wait about an hour for the SFTP connection to establish.
Step 2: Create a Custom Report in Workday
- In your Workday tenant, search and click the task Create Custom Report
- Enter the report details as shown in the screenshot below, then click OK
- On the next page:
- Add the fields that should be sent to Lyft
- To customize your field names, use the Column Heading Overrides column
- If you would like only a subset of your employees to have access to Lyft Business, use Filter to define the criteria
- Please refer to How to format and upload your standard employee roster to People Sync and How to format and upload your segmented employee roster to People Sync for required fields and format. Please contact your Lyft Program Specialist if you are unsure whether to use “Standard employee roster” or “Segmented employee roster.”
- Click the OK to save the report. You can test your report data by clicking the Run button. If you would like to edit the report later, search and click Edit Custom Report, then click edit under Actions.
Step 3: Create an EIB
This step will enable you to send your report to SFTP on a chosen schedule.
- In your Workday tenant, search and click Create EIB
- Fill out Name field and select Outbound
- On the next page, click Get Data on the left side menu. in the Custom Report field enter the report you created in Step 1, then click Next
- Click Transform on the left side menu, and in the Transformation Type field, select None
- Click Deliver on the left side menu, fill in the following, then click Next
- In the Delivery Method field, choose SFTP
- Under SFTP Address, enter the SFTP address provided by Lyft Business
- Under Directory, enter “/users”
- Under Authentication Method, choose SSH.
- For User ID, enter your organization’s ID.
- After reviewing the Summary page, click OK
- On the EIB Integration screen, click the Actions button located in the header. On the dropdown menu, select Integration and then Launch to send the file to the SFTP address configured in the EIB.
- Turn on People sync and launch to the whole company by contacting your Program Specialist
Make sure to test run the roster file before launching to the whole company. We recommend doing a test run of the process from end-to-end with just a few employees before running SFTP People Sync for your entire organization.